Wachusett Region Recycling Events-11/24/12

Happy Thanksgiving!

Have new winter hats, gloves, or mittens you won’t be using? Donate them between November 27th and December 18th to the Princeton Girl Scout Troop 30966’s collection of  new cold-weather items. They’ll be donated  to The American Red Cross for distribution to people affected by Hurricane Sandy. Donations are accepted at the Princeton Library, Thomas Prince School, and the Mountainside Market.

If you have usable ski, snowboard, ice hockey, or skating equipment you’d like to sell, this is your chance. Westboro’s Explorer Post 85 Emergency Service Squad is holding their 45th annual ski swap on December 8th. Bring your items to Hastings School on Route 30 in Westboro on Friday, December 7th between 7 and 9pm. You determine the price and get 85% of it if your items sell. The remaining 15% is considered a donation to the explorers. If your items don’t sell, you can pick them up at 1pm on the 8th after the sale, or leave them as a donation to the explorers. All items must be in good condition. There are some requirements for ski bindings and boots for safety reasons. Go to their website to download the ‘intake’ form, check whether your boots and bindings can be sold, and for any other information the sale. Another opportunity to recycle winter sports equipment is the annual swap at Davis Hill School in Holden is planned for December 1st. Details will be posted when available.

Donate your gently-used winter coats to the One Warm Coat drive at JC Penney at the Mall at Whitney Field, 100 Commercial Drive, Leominster. Adults, kids and infants winter coats and jackets are being collected until December 21st. Coat drives are also being held at other locations – see the One Warm Coat website to search for convenient locations all over the country.

ReFoamIt will be holding #6 plastic, aka Styrofoam, recycling events in early January 2013. Hold onto the packing peanuts and bricks your holiday gifts come in for recycling at these events.

As we’re working our way towards Thanksgiving, you may be thinking about putting up holiday lights around your yard or house. If you find that your strings of lights don’t work, you can recycle them. Send them to HolidayLEDS and they will pass them along to a third-party recycler. In return, they will give you a 25% coupon off HolidayLEDs.com LED Christmas lights. You can send your lights to HolidayLEDs.com, Attn: Recycling Program, 1737 Spring Arbor Rd., PMB 206, Jackson, MI 49203. See their website for more information.

Have your kids finished their soccer seasons for the year? If they’re going to outgrow their shoes by the time they play again next year, donate them to PeacePassers.org to be passed on to others who need them. Donations have been made within the US and other countries. You can also donate sets of team jerseys, shorts, or socks, goalie uniforms and gloves, or soccer balls. Contact them at peacepassersinfo@gmail.com and they’ll let you know the best location to which you can mail your donation.

Did you know your local AutoZone store accepts used car batteries for recycling? And many accept used motor oil as well. Contact your local store to see what they accept. See their store locator for contact information.


The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://wachurecycle.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/wachusett-region-recycling-events-112412/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: